Published on May 21, 2013
Published on May 14, 2013
Published on April 24, 2013
Ants are No Match for Roseburg Pest Control
Published on August 28, 2012
One of the top Roseburg pest control complaints is regarding ants. The warm winter, springtime rains and warm summer temperatures have helped ant populations thrive and make their appearance sooner than usual this year. In regards to ant control, Roseburg residents can prevent an infestation with some simple techniques.
The Top 3 Roseburg Ants
Carpenter ants: Ranging in size from 1/8 inch to ½ inch, carpenters ants are black and can have a red head. These ants tunnel through wood to create chambers in which to live. Carpenter ants don’t eat wood, but their wood-burrowing activities are just as destructive. These ants bite and like to eat sugary foods, plants, insects and meat fats. When they mate, carpenter ants can grow wings.
Odorous house ants (sugar ants): These annoying little ants that like to raid kitchens measure 1/16 inch to 1/8 inch long. These ants like to eat sugary substances and dead insects. When you smash an odorous ant, it releases a rotten coconut-like smell.
Pavement ants: Measuring about 1/8 inch long, pavement ants make nests under the cracks in pavement, building foundations and hollow walls. These ants will eat almost anything and can contaminate the food and water you consume. Pavement ants don’t bite, but they do have a stinger that smarts.
When it comes to ant pest control, Roseburg residents will find that ongoing prevention is key. Here’s what you can do:
- Trim back shrubs from your home, as well as low-hanging tree branches.
- Keep wood piles at least 6 feet away from your home.
- Keep garden pests (like aphids or mealy bugs) at bay, because their honeydew attracts ants.
- Avoid leaving food out in the open.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Avoid leaving dirty dishes in the kitchen sink or on counters.
- Immediately clean up spilled food.
- Wipe down your counters with a diluted bleach solution.
- Regularly clean your floors to pick up crumbs that accidentally fell.
- Use lids over trash cans that contain food waste.
- If possible, don’t leave pet food out in the open.
Once you have an ant infestation, it can be tough to get rid of. If an infestation occurs in your home, avoid using chemical insecticides. Instead, call a Roseburg pest control company like Eden that uses alternative, effective practices that keep your family, pets and the environment safe. With our free inspection, you can learn about the type of ants that are infesting your home so you can use the correct solution to tackle them.