Published on May 21, 2013
Published on May 14, 2013
Published on April 24, 2013
Portland Pest Management Plans to Live By
Published on April 10, 2012
Home maintenance includes cleaning the roof regularly, clearing gutters, pruning trees and shrubs around your home and so on. However, an essential part of home maintenance that homeowners often neglect is pest management. Portland pest management companies often make house calls because the owners failed to follow create and follow a simple pest management plan. By planning on regularly practicing pest control, Oregon residents can stave off infestations, save money and prolong the life of a home and its contents.
Your Portland Pest Management Plan
Houses that are in good shape are unattractive to pests. The great thing about a personal pest management plan is that it can go hand-in-hand with your home’s maintenance routine.
Keep your home moisture-free.
- Immediately eliminate sources of standing water around the outside of your home.
- Fix leaks in your roof, appliances and plumbing.
- Clear your downspouts and gutters.
- Make sure the vapor barrier and vents in your crawlspace are not damaged.
Seal your home against pests.
- Seal any cracks on interior and exterior walls that are greater than 1/8 inch.
- Replace or fix broken screens on doors and windows.
- Prevent rot by keeping exterior building materials painted, sealed or stained.
- Store the items in your garage, attic, closets and shelves in lidded plastic containers.
Keep your home clean.
- Always store pantry items in glass, metal or plastic containers with lids.
- Avoid leaving pet food out in the open for more than a couple of hours.
- Vacuum regularly.
- Never leave leftover food out in the open.
- Use trash cans with sealing lids, especially for those that receive food waste.
- Avoid leaving piles of clutter inside or outside your home.
Make your home inhospitable to pests.
- Keep your woodpile dry, off the ground and at least 6 feet away from your home.
- Opt for gravel instead of bark dust.
- Regularly prune the shrubs near your home, as well as any tree limbs that overhang your roof.
- Keep your yard free of weeds.
- Use yellow “bug” light bulbs on exterior fixtures, which attract fewer insects than traditional bulbs.
- Remove rotted wood as soon as you notice it.
Schedule regular inspections by a professional Portland pest management company.
- Learn about the areas of your home that are most vulnerable to an infestation.
- Greatly reduce or eliminate the need to use harmful insecticides.
You don’t need to spend several hours to come up with or implement your own pest management plan. Portland pest management can be as simple as storing your food properly or purchasing a lidded trashcan. If you’re not sure where to begin with your pest management plan, contact a Portland pest control specialist to schedule a free inspection. The professional can talk to you about any Enhanced Service Programs offered, which can help take the guesswork out of pest control.