Published on December 30, 2014
Published on December 16, 2014
Published on December 09, 2014
5 Pest Control Uses for Cucumbers
Published on May 24, 2011
There are many eco-friendly pest control options available to homeowners today, from citronella candles to water traps. But none are as all-natural and cheap as cucumbers.
That's right - a raw, bitter cucumber is a green pest control option unbeknownst to many homeowners. While this eco-friendly pest control technique won't rid your home of a major infestation, it can help reduce minor pest problems and can be used in conjunction with other green pest control methods.
Here are a few of the common household pests that can be managed with the help of cucumber peels:
1. Ants. Place peels or slices at entrance points around your home, preferably in soil so the cucumber can simply decompose.
2. Moths. Place thin slices on window sills, in cabinets and under beds. Remember to replace them frequently, though - rotting cucumbers can attract even more pests.
3. Mites. Similar to moths, you will want to place the peels anyplace you are experiencing a mite problem.
4. Wasps. Peels and slices of cucumbers may not be enough to ward off wasps, so try planting cucumber plants if you have the space. You can still spread slices and peels around trouble areas, of course.
5. Silverfish. Cucumbers work especially well for silverfish, as they are crawling insects. Place the bitter peels around trouble areas and replace often.
The more bitter the cucumber, the more effective it is as an eco-friendly pest control solution. They especially don't like the peels, so if you're concerned about leaving whole slices of cucumbers lying around your house, simply use a vegetable peeler to get the good stuff. You will, of course, still need to replace the peels regularly.
[ photo by: MDMallett ]